Monday, 21 November 2011

Geekiness

I am such a geek. I know I am a geek, I feel it in my bones. I know this because of the things that bring me joy.

Manga brings me joy. A new chapter of One Piece, and old chapter of GetBackers, a coolly told fight or a sappy idealistic declaration by the stupid hero, they bring a smile to my face.

Video games bring me joy. I jumped for it when I realised Dragon Age 2 was out, I hugged a stranger once when it transpired that we both felt the exact same way towards Starcraft and Oblivion (that emotion being sheer, unadulterated awe).

Television brings me joy. I can and do talk for hours, and hours, and hours about what TV I love, and what TV I don't. I love Sherlock and Doctor Who, The West Wing and The Wire.

Fantasy brings me joy. To have read, obsessively, every single book in the Wheel of Time, to have memorised the intro to The Name of the Wind, to have the gall to call myself Sauron and be called Sauron, there is nothing that is as joyous as that.

Science Fiction brings me joy. To have read the Guide more times than I care to remember, to have imagined Dune too many times to forget, to have seen in the eye of my mind exactly what Ender's Battle Room looks like, it is etched deep into my skull now.

More things than these bring me joy. They bring me so much joy that sometimes I must stop myself from exposing myself to them for fear of becoming used to that which should be carefully rationed out will take that joy away from me. And the fact that I bother to consider this, the fact that that there is a calculus by which I determine whether or not to procure an item that fulfils my enjoyment of these things merely reinforces the idea that I am, in fact, a geek.

I am a geek, and it brings me joy.

1 comment:

Krishna said...

Wikiepedia's definition: The word geek is a slang term, with different meanings ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".

:P