Saturday, 13 March 2010

I'm currently reading morbid poetry. I quite like morbid poetry. Morbidity is the emotion I feel now. I like morbidity. But then I saw Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (a must-watch. Very beautiful, not to mention stellar performances by Stephen Fry and Johnny Depp. If you went to see Avatar just for the visuals, watch this, and you'll be delighted both visually and intellectually. The only gripe I have is the slightly unoriginal action movie ending, but that I can very easily forgive.) and having watched it, I reread the Jabberwocky. The actual novel I shall save for another time, but the poetry is brilliant. There are a huge number of words that just don't make sense, but one reads them as if they do.

So this week I've been reading the Jabberwocky and the rather longer Hunting of the Snark. They're meant to be read aloud, even if the words don't make any sense at all. You should do it.

2 comments:

Sreya said...

I watched Alice, too. My friend's opinion of the movie matches up with mine, so I'll link to it here.

http://thewordofgit.com/blog/2010/03/14/oh-alice/

I loved the Jabberwocky poem and I am such a fan of wonderland that it's scary, but the movie just didn't do it for me. :(

David said...

Aaaah the Jabberwocky